I have never had a yeast infection, so I don't know what it's like, what the symptoms are, how dangerous it is, etc. Well, yesterday, I started to feel a little itch and a quick look revealed that something was definitely wrong. I could have called my sister, who might have known more than me, but she has a baby who has decided that sleep is overrated (and my sister might say that sleep is underrated) and it was after 11, so I consulted with Dr. Google. This is what Dr. Google should have said:
- Stop freaking out!
- Whatever it is, it doesn't endanger the pregnancy.
- You can wait until the morning to see your doctor.
- Stop freaking out and don't call every pharmacy in the city to see if one of them is open.
- Don't self-diagnose.
- The fact that there is no discharge doesn't mean that it's gotta be MORE serious than a yeast infection. [BTW, none of the websites mentioned such a situation.]
- For goodness' sake, stop * freaking * out!
- It's really not going to hurt your baby and most importantly...
- Be nice to your husband who doesn't really get why you're freaking out.
I got most of that information (not the husband part) and was actually able to calm down until I got a totally miraculous doctor's appointment this morning (not with my obgyn, but with one I've seen before). He said I have a mild case, that it's really common in pregnancy & that I was just lucky to never have experienced it before. Mild. He also said that within a few days it will be completely gone, that the treatment is safe during pregnancy & that it does not harm the baby or endanger the pregnancy. Whew!
The only weird thing was running into my dad just as I got to the clinic... The good thing is that at my age it no longer embarrasses me.