Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tossing & Turning

After CSI (which comes on here at 11, but airs commercial-free) I finally fell asleep at around quarter to one. I was trying to figure out how someone could be so cruel to his own daughter as to say that she can only take the entrance exam for the high school that she wants to go to if her mom (me) would say that he would no longer have to pay child support if she got in... This with it being a private school that costs more than 5x as much as her current semi-private school (for which he pays nothing). Hadas was literally in tears.

At 2:55* I woke up to find that our cat had hidden in our room. At least she didn't jump on the bed... I got up to let her out and, of course, went to pee.

At 4:18 something was tickling me. Usually it's my hair, but this time it was an ant walking on my face. Lovely. I got up again (to pee). After that I had trouble falling asleep because I was trying to figure out how I'm going to finish my seminar paper when everything's moving so slowly and I need a large sample to run my experiment on. I turned from side-to-side about 10 times, which means moving my pillow collection around with me. Finally, sometime around 5 I fell asleep.

At 6 I woke up all sweaty, went to go pee and then back to sleep. (I'm still sleeping in a t-shirt, with a summer blanket, I'm just really warm at night.) At around 7:30, we woke up...

During the time that I did sleep, I managed to dream that my doctor's secretary called to say they'd rescheduled my next appointment for May 10th (my birthday). Only once I got off the phone did I realize that the baby should be at least 2 months old by then...

I've got to admit that this is a typical night for me anytime (pregnant or not), usually with very vivid dreams, complete with color & sound - including background music sometimes. (On Friday night I woke up wondering what I should do when my dreams were so silly that they were like a show I wouldn't let my kids watch on TV for fear that their minds would turn to mush.)

This morning Ohad (who, as usual, slept through all the times I woke up) called the school that said that Hadas can be tested without her father's signature. My lawyer said we can get a court order that will allow her to study there if she gets in... so basically she's all set for now.

Maybe tonight I'll sleep a little better. What are your nights like?

*We have a great projection alarm clock that projects the time onto the ceiling, so I always know exactly what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night.


Sara said...

Ugh! Your ex is a complete ass! I'm so sorry that you have to deal with him, and that he still has the power to hurt your kids' feelings. Yuck.

I have vivid dreams too, and often about illogical, stress-producing scenarios. One silver lining about having a greedy baby, though, I wake up on HER schedule, rather than my own, so my bad dreams are often interrupted before they have the chance to disturb me. The down side is that the good dreams are interrupted too. Last night's schedule: up at 11:30, 1:30, 3:30, and 6. Ugh.

Bea said...

Ugh. Yes, I hope you sleep better tonight. Good luck to Hadas with the exam!

As for me, I'm sleeping well for the moment!


Anonymous said...

He's such an asshole. Sorry, but it's true. The ex, I mean.

Ohad, on the other hand, is a gem. Just be glad you're with the right one.

Coincidentally, I woke up at 2:45, also to pee, and couldn't fall back to sleep (this might be partly because I went to bed at 8 on Sunday). Next time, we should do coffee. Or tea. Or popsicles.

nancy said...

Hey, just wanted to say I responded to your question. Since these are 2007 rates, everyone won't give birth until sept/oct, so they don't have the live birth rates for 2007 yet. Those are just pregnancies.