This article by Kathryn Roethel in the San Francisco Chronicle surprised me. It claims that of the 7.2 million couples with clinical infertility, less than 2% go for in vitro fertilization. My jaw dropped. Really? So what do the other 98% do? I'm guessing some are successful with clomid or IUI. Some give up. Some adopt, perhaps. But, really. That's going to leave quite a large number of couples yearning for a baby for many, many years.
But that's not actually the point of the article. The point was to introduce a new test developed by researchers from Stanford University that uses more than 50 parameters to estimate the chances of success for a couple who's had at least one IVF cycle. Its goal is to help couples know whether they should keep trying or move on to other options. The test isn't available yet, but they're expecting it to be available sometime in 2011.